Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Photography Post

Yesterday after work I was bad.  I splurged.  I bought a EF 50mm f/1.4 lens (which means I will be able to take beautiful portrait pics), a polarized filter (makes colors pop), a gorillapod, and a flash.  Such an expensive hobby.  But so addicting...it's my only creative outlet. But, after looking over the pictures that I have taken of New England (NE) in the past couple of years, I think I should have splurged some more.  What I really "need" is a wide angle lens; a lens that will take in ALL of the beautiful New England landscape, of which I just can't get enough of.  Ideally I would get a EF 16-35mm f/2.8L lens....hey it's only $1,545 on Amazon...!!!!! Well, I can't splurge that much today, but I have my eye on it....it's on my Amazon wish list...I am just saying.   


Also, from now on I will only be buying EF lenses.  I sound like a snot, but I have my reasons.  EF canon lenses are compatible with smaller DSLR cameras, like my Rebel T2i, as well as "full frame" (35mm format sensor) cameras like the Canon 5D Mark II. However, the EF-S lenses are ONLY compatible with smaller DSLR cameras.  So if in the future I want to upgrade my camera body to a "full frame", my EF-S lenses are useless! I am glad I only have two EF-S lenses, although those are my only two lenses that I have, which came with the camera body.  Right now I shoot with a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.6-5.6 (a cheapy lens..), and a EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 (a telephoto zoom lens..which means you can zoom in on stuff).  I love my telephoto lens.  It has been a great starter lens for me.  


If you are interested in reading more about "full frame" vs "small" sensors read this and see this.  


In the future I definitely want to upgrade to a "full frame" camera, which will be awesome for my landscape photography of NE, but right now I am quite content with what I have.  The Rebel T2i has been a great little starter camera for me.  I think that from now on I will be "investing" on good glass and learning how to shoot well before even thinking of upgrading the body.  Unfortunately for my hubby, this hobby is here to stay :) So expect long hours at the beach and parks, and carrying around gear.  


Here are some pics that I have taken with my telephoto lens: 


Miss Izzy trying to escape from our back yard.  Muy mala.

Shaker.  Our super handsome wanna be super alpha dog. 



My dream home at Briggs Beach in Little Compton Rhode Island.  Why is everything in NE have to be son darn pretty?!  

New England rock walls.  Even the moss is beautiful...not a photoshoped image!  I swear! 

At Sakonnet Vinery during the winter.  This winery is located in Little Compton Rhode Island...a recommended stop if you happen to be in the area.  

I bought this orchid at Buchanans in Houston...it didn't last too long though :(  I unintentionally killed it. 



A New England sea gull.  



Houston Polo.  A match between Argentina and the US. 

Cool bug hanging out at our backyard. 


A butterfly on our neighbors plant.

I can't wait to post some pics up with my new lens!  


No comments:

Post a Comment